發新話題
打印

[問題] How To Select The Very Best Cigar Humidors? Reason #793

How To Select The Very Best Cigar Humidors? Reason #793

6 Cigar Humidification Methods

Now   you have a solid understanding of what a hygrometer does and everything can happen if your humidity is too high or too low, let us discuss how to really control the humidity in your humidor. Unfortunately, you can not just use a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag...

1. The Hockey Puck Humidification Method
The unofficial hockey puck method was my very first way to control the humidity in my humidor and boy  was it trying. This is actually the"puck" which is included with humidors most of the time and requires you to soak it in propylene glycol. I found it to be a little bit of a guessing game because you need to be sure your"puck" does not run out of juice. It had been mostly stressful because I used the   free version in my humidor so results may vary. I discovered I had to soak the puck every 15 days or so using a humidor of 30 cigars.   I only had to re-soak each 30-45 days and found it to be much more consistent. Soaking a humidor puck is very simple. It takes approximately 30 seconds and you just purchase the propylene glycol separately. This solution is odorless and just replaces water as a   pure form of moisture. Using tap water can create problems due to chlorine or other chemicals, and bottled water will not stay moist provided that propylene glycol.

2. The Tubes or Mini Jars Cigar Humidification Method
Xikar and Drymistat make very easy to use products that you can merely open and pop it into a humidor such as this  
electric humidor. These have a much more controlled method of handling humidity compared to the puck method. The only bad thing is that you need to replace these completely the majority of the time every 3-6 weeks completely. I don't recommend trying to"re-soak" them together with the propylene glycol. The beauty of these, particularly the tubes, is   they don't take up much room in your humidor. However, depending on how big the jar format may work better:

3. The Boveda Packs Cigar Humidification Method
Similar to the jar or tubes from Xikar and Drymistat, you can go with a very controlled method of Boveda humidity packs. These are my favourite cigar humidification strategy and ones that I use for my tupperdor today. However, they can err a bit on the large side in terms of humidity if you use them in a tupperdor. I'd aim to go several percentages lower than your desired humidity as a consequence if you've got a tupperdor.   Otherwise they do a great job of consuming humidity whether it's too high and increasing if it is too low. Once your package is stiff, then you simply throw it off. That being said, many claim to be able to recharge these quite easily simply by soaking them for a few days after they become stiff. Even though this might be a terrific way to save money, the recharged packs certainly won't be as precise as an original. To discover more about how to recharge, check out this YouTube tutorial. For me personally, I don't recharge because if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on cigars, I don't wish to cut   corners to save a few dollars on Boveda packs.

4. The Heartfelt Beads Humidification Method
Heartfelt beads are a frequent humidity method that many advocate across cigar forums. This company revolves around these beads and they've a lot of diehard followers for their merchandise.   These are probably one of the more expensive options but continue forever. They do require spraying of distilled water following two or week though so you have to stick to a program. This way is a bit more geared towards the   advanced cigar collectors. Typically, cigar collectors will have a pouch of these   a layer at the base of the wineador.

5. The Electric Cigar Humidification Method
There's nothing better than the set it and forget of an electric humidifier, especially if you have a big or valuable set. All these are a little expensive compared to the other options such as  
rabbitair but there is the benefit of very little upkeep. The units   work great if plugged in -- so you'll be asked to conduct a level cable into the outside of your humidor. However some of those units have some really cool features like wi-fi capabilities and can humidify around 1,000 cigars! (That would be a lot of Boveda packs...) You do have to replace the cartridge every 6 -- 12 months but it's relatively inexpensive.

6. The Kitty Litter Cigar Humidification Method
For a larger wineador installation, many recommend kitty litter as a viable option to control humidity.   This is a really similar method to this Heartfelt beads strategy outlined above. The key is to get a kitty litter with no fragrance and spray distilled water every two to three weeks as required. I have seen very positive reviews out of Exquisicat Crystals with very low dust nor scent.

發新話題